Sunday, September 6, 2009

We've Gotten A Facelift: So How Ya' Like Us Now?

With The World Wide Glen now entering it's fourth year of publishing -- at 250,000 plus hits strong we might add (or an average of about 500 a day) -- an update of our original Blogger design was probably long overdue. So here it is. Ladies And Gentlemen, take a gander at our new, improved look and design. In other words, in the words of the immortal Pete Townshend, meet the new boss, same as the old boss -- but with a nicer looking suit.

So a few quick notes on the new look...

First off, let's talk about the things we like about it. Can you say three columns? Yeah, baby!

We've got our links running neatly down the left hand side, along with a (much needed) shorter welcome to the page. The ever popular feed links are also conveniently located there, for those of you who want to receive updates to The World Wide Glen via subscription through Google, Feedburner, or whoever.

Another thing we really like are the buttons running along the top, spotlighting links to such important places as my articles at Blogcritics and my other site The Rockologist. For obvious reasons, the Hire Glen Here link is also prominently featured up top. What can I say folks? Today I "celebrated" my ninth month being out of gainful, full-time work (which is the longest I've ever been unemployed in a single stretch).

The good news is I hope be able to report on some positive developments in that arena in about a week or so. Hopefully by the time I see Porcupine Tree on Sept. 15 in fact...

Anyway, back to our facelift. On the right hand side, you'll find our site affiliations (the aforementioned Blogcritics and Rockologist sites, along with the guys who actually pay me to write and edit over at Technorati). There's also a picture of my ugly mug, and some links to my most recent articles both here and at Blogcritics.

Of course, as is the case with any site upgrade, there are going to be a few bumpy spots along the road. In our case, these have come with our pictures, which have all had to be resized to fit the new look. Tonight, I was able to get through about half of the nearly 400 posts we've posted here since 2005, taking me back to our posts dating to around the middle of 2007.

Some of our most popular articles (like that hot picture of Meadow Soprano we posted in 2006 -- man does that thing draw the horndog traffic!), were updated first. But on a lot of the oldest posts, things are still going to look pretty fucked up. All I can say there is patience, grasshoppers. The plan here, is to complete resizing the pictures on the rest of our articles by the end of next week. Keeping my fingers crossed there.

In the meantime, I hope you all enjoy the new look. I for one, am as excited as a thirteen year old girl at a Jo-Bros concert about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment